When Ryan got the one arm handstand earlier this year, he got all sorts of congratulatory messages from impressed onlookers. And while the applause was nice, it’s certainly not why he went through the process of training for the OAHS.
You might be enticed by the glory of nailing impressive skills, but think about what your training is really for.
Is it for impressing others, or is it for furthering your own desires and goals?
In this episode of the GMB Fitness Skills podcast, Ryan and Andy will cure you of any ego-driven training decisions.
Stick this in your earhole:
Show Notes and Links
Here’s a taste of what you’ll find in Episode 37:
- (02:00) Ryan’s been coaching a small group of people on the press to handstand.
- (04:40) Anytime you’re working on a “higher level” skill, it should include work on the basics as well.
- (06:15) A brief handstand lesson from Picasso.
- (08:02) You never graduate from the basics.
A pyramid never stops needing the bottom layer of bricks.
- (08:47) So what happens when you do nail a skill?
- (09:15) New from GMB: The Rings One test! (right….)
- (10:25) It’s not about “You got it!” It’s about the process and doing the work.
- (11:30) What it takes to be a GMB trainer.
- (13:41) Ryan’s new mode of transportation.
- (17:15) The important thing to remember about the videos people post publicly.
- (17:48) Ryan doesn’t always post his best attempts, and there’s a good reason for that.
- (18:24) You’re never done!
Congratulations feel nice, but what’s really important is what YOU get out of your training.
- (20:25) You’re the only one who can say if your training is successful.
- (23:25) Training teaches you what you can and can’t do. And what you do should be to support what you want to do.
- (24:00) How to get a certificate from GMB.
Did you learn something new? Enjoy any particular piece? Have a question on anything we talked about?
Subscribe and Stay Tuned!
If you dig this, we’d be deeply honored if you hop over to iTunes, subscribe to future episodes, and give GMB Fitness Skills a quick review and rating.
That helps us get new listeners, which gives us more incentive to record new episodes.
Got a question you’d like us to answer next time? Leave a note on our Facebook page, and we’ll put it on the list.
Thanks for listening!